Monday, November 11, 2013

Off the mat.

OFF THE MAT

As a founder and owner, and now a co-owner of a wellness/fitness/dance/yoga center, I have had an opportunity to talk with and work with many yoga instructors. I have heard stories, and learned lot , even from the people that come through the door with an off handed interest. I remember one instructor who came in ,when I first opened, looking for  place to teach. I gladly showed her around and welcomed her to share her experience. When she crossed her arms and stated that she required 100 dollars an hour, I gently took her hand, and told her that perhaps this was not a fit for her.
Now years later, I am blessed beyond words to have some of the most beautiful, loving , giving people sharing their time , wisdom, and teachings of yoga at Masjah Center. Their classes are wonderful, and all different, and all nurturing and instructional. They attend workshops, and teacher trainings, and  honor their own practice.
But it is off the mat that I get a sense of their essence - what draws them to teach yoga, how they perceive life, and how yoga has helped them and changed their perspectives. The short conversations, the smiles in the hallway, the love emanating from them, the hugs, the trust. When life is hitting them, I know, because these people are real. Authentic. Human. 
When the stuff hits the fan for yogis,  they will go to their mat. But not always. Sometimes it requires digging in and getting stuff done. Facing the tough stuff that happens off the mat.
The commitment to practice and teach carries them through until the time they are able to peel off the layers and surrender.
And so, the mat becomes a place to go, a place to teach, but really, the teachings and experiences the state of samadhi, the humble allowing and exploration of one's inner landscapes in practice, permeate into everyday living, and everyday living becomes part of one's practice. 
 When I am actually able to take  a class - oh what a treat! My practice right now is in my teaching , and oh boy I am glad to land into the space of Masjah and settle onto the mat to teach a class. Most of  my own personal practice right now is in my yard, on my deck; a spontaneous sequence in the woods while walking my dogs; a few poses before I settle in with a morning coffee, and a lot of " off the mat" Yogi stuff. 
hmm... I will leave you pondering with just what that may be, as I must get ready now to teach. 
            "A mind free from all disturbance is Yoga." - The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali Y
Soga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured. 
B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured see
B.K.S. Iyengar



No comments:

Post a Comment